Songwriting may be something that is born in you but that doesn’t mean you can’t learn to do it more effectively. There is massive inspiration involved but there are skills and techniques that are just as important. Songwriting workshops address these issues and help you move on to a new level in your art.
The topics I cover include:
- Resources – dictionaries, books by great songwriters, instructional videos and books.
- Firing the Imagination – how to get your creative juices going, stream of consciousness exercises, brainstorming, story boards.
- Collaboration – the benefits of working with others, co-writing, lyrics, music, arrangements, performance.
- Business – protecting your songs, making money from your songs, PRS, recording, selling CDs.
- Other stuff that crops up – often the best bits!
The songwriting workshops can last a couple of hours up to a couple of days. They can be dedicated events where I can provide a venue or I’ll come to you. Groups of up to 8 are ideal but I can handle more. Really the shorter the workshop the smaller the number of people there should be.
I myself have benefited greatly from attending songwriting workshops and thank the inspiring tutors who have put me in a position to pass on some of my learnings.